Monday, November 12, 2012

Native American Headdress

This week we are learning about The First Thanksgiving.  Today we were talking mostly about the Native Americans who lived near Plymouth Rock, the Wampanoag people.  We talked about how the pilgrims came across the ocean in a big boat called the Mayflower and when they got to America (The New World) they were sick and needed help, and the Wampanoag people helped them.

So I wanted the kiddos to create a Native American headdress.  I had this grand plan of designs on the head band and beaded string hanging down the sides (something like this - Pinterest) ...
But as often happens with kiddos, the project took a turn.  They loved cutting out the feathers (my fours).  I could have used craft feathers, but I like the idea of the kiddos creating their own art.

 So they merrily cut and cut.  One of my fours spent quite a chunk of time just cutting her feathers and never got around to the headdress.  Ha.  We munched on popcorn (a Native American creation) while we cut and chatted.  Above, you'll see I cut come triangles for the kiddos to decorate their headdresses with.  I laid these two triangles on this kiddo's headdress to show him what they were for, but he took them right off and went on with the feathers.  Ha.  Who knew!  Their creations turned out wonderful and they enjoyed their project.

For the record, I do prefer that  kiddos take a project and make it their own.  I was just excited about my idea.  Ha.  Perhaps I just should have made my own headdress.

My threes enjoyed snipping the feathers (I cut them out for them) and gluing them on.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment