Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A week on pumpkins!

Circle Time - We talked about how pumpkins grow and what they look like.   We have been reading some fabulous books this week too!
        
Pumpkin Science - The kiddos were excited to get to work with their pumpkins.  I created for each of them, a small pumpkin book.  Once they got their name on, we sat down and got to work.

We measured the circumference of each pumpkin and then weighed them too. We did an experiment to see if our pumpkins would sink or float.  We made our prediction first (a smart guess).  I was surprised that the kiddos all predicted their pumpkin would float.  And sure enough, they were right!  They all floated!  Then there were a few additional pages asking about their pumpkin's stem, shape etc.

Pumpkin Dissection - The kiddos helped me de-gut one of Mr. Adam's big pumpkins.  They did such a great job, I asked if they wanted to do another one, surprisingly they said no.  Ha! 
While I was cutting the lid, we talked about what we were going to find inside.  I was trying for:  bats, ghosts, eyeballs, anything!  But they wouldn't go for it.  They kept insisting that there would be seeds and pumpkin goo.  

Pumpkin Planting - After harvesting the seeds, we planted them!


Paint Chip Pumpkins - These have been on pinterest.  They were cute and easy to make.  The first picture is from my preschoolers.  I had them draw their own faces with markers and cut their own stems.  Cute.
This picture is from my youngster class (3 yr. olds).  I cut all the pieces for them and they got to glue them on.

Bean Bin - Our bean bin has been invaded by Halloween this month.  I added spiders and various Halloween containers and scoops.  One day this week the kiddos brought the trucks into the action to help transport the beans.

Paint Spinner Pumpkins -  My youngsters made these this week.  While the paint was still wet, they stuck the face pieces on.

Pasta Pumpkins - I dyed some pinwheel pasta orange, drew a pumpkin shape on a piece of card stock and let the kiddos go to work with the glue!  They loved squeezing out puddle of glue and then placing the pasta on.

Pumpkin Decorating - My preschoolers got to use paint and glitter (boy did they love that) and my youngster glued the faces on.

Tape Road - A class favorite is to created a road with masking tape.  So much fun and endless possibilities.  When it's time to go home the kiddos gleefully pull up the road and create tape balls they take home.

Measuring - One of my youngsters pulled out this little measuring device and so we started measuring things.  We discovered that a little car is about 2" and that a big car is about 6".  When we laid them next to each other we were happy to discover that 3 little cars equal 1 big car!

No comments:

Post a Comment