Monday, October 7, 2013

A week on Spiders

Circle Time - We looked at a book that showed several different kinds of spiders.   We learned that they can come in all sorts of colors and even shapes.  But they always have 2 body parts and 8 legs.  We also learned that they can live in many different places and environments.


 Last Thursday I told the kiddos I would put a hint in the preschool tree on Monday, so they would know what they were learning about.  I reminded them of this as we were going into my house.  As the kiddos came down into the preschool, they found several hints.
 I found these spider cut outs at the dollar store and taped them up all around the preschool room.  The kiddos were pretty excited to discover them all.

Anatomically Correct Spiders - Well sort of.  Ha -  
 Above:  My preschoolers - doing their own cutting.  Below: My threes, I did the cutting.

Spider Rings -You gotta love spider rings!


Snack - Banana Spiders - Chinese noodles for legs, and mini Reece's pieces for eyes.
 Journals - This week we are doing the letter "E" because who doesn't say "Eeeeeek!" when they see a spider.  Ha!  The kiddos practice their name, then the letter of the week, then they draw a picture.  Today they drew a spider.  Then they get to date stamp their page and if we're lucky, I'll have a stamp that matches our theme of the week.

Unexpected Visitor -  The kiddos were all excited.  They thought they found a spider in the preschool.  So we caught him and took a took...
 Nope, not a spider.  We counted his legs, just 6, and saw that he had 2 very long antennae.  So we decided he wasn't a spider, he must be a cool beetle of some sort.  So we took him outside and set him loose on a leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment