Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Summer Camp - Ice!

Today we enjoyed learning with ice!  Here are a few of the things we did...

Shaving Cream with Dyed Ice - I sprayed the table with shaving cream and then set out dyed ice cubes.  As the kiddos pushed the ice around in the cream, the colors swirled and mixed.  Pretty cool.  And who doesn't love playing with shaving cream!

 
Water Color Painting on Ice - I was hoping the kiddos would go to town with the colors, but not these guys.  Ha!  They were more interested in dumping the ice in the pool (brrr!) instead.


Water Play - I dug through my cupboards and found a few more water toys to set out.

Frozen Pirates - I froze some of our pirates in some blocks of ice, and then challenged the kiddos to get them out.  I set out a shaker with salt and one with baking soda.


We found the ice worked best, and when you poured on a ton, you could hear the ice cracking.  A bit later in the morning, we put vinegar in our spray bottles and dumped baking soda on the pirate ice...


That sped up the process and soon our pirates were free!  Yahoo! 


We also made homemade popsicles, which the kiddos (and I ) loved!

UV Beads - Have you guys seen these?  I love them.  They are a white-ish color when away from the sun, then as soon as you step into the sunlight, they burst with color!  We made necklaces with them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment