Thursday, August 8, 2013

Summer Camp - Boats!

Today we enjoyed making a couple of boats and trying a few experiments.  Here's what we did...


Walnut Boats - These turned out pretty cool.  I made them from the walnuts in our backyard.  First I tried melted wax, as a blog suggested, but we found hot glue was so much easier and faster.  Also I used a matchstick for the mast (striker end down) and wasbi tape for the sail.

Blue Ice - I froze some ice cubes and colored them blue.  Confession:  They were going to be these cute ice cube boats, but I totally forgot to stick the toothpick mast in them when they were half frozen.  Ha!  So instead, we just floated them around the pool and changed the water color in our buckets.


Paper Plate Ocean, and a Boat - I just found this idea on pinterest - so darn cute!  The rocking paper plate is the ocean.

Sink and Float - I had the kiddos gather items from around the yard to see what would sink or float.  We made a prediction (a thinking guess) and then tossed the item into the pool...



Ant Lunch - After snack we discovered that our dropped crackers did not become bird food, rather they became ant food...

Tea Party - I love it when they pour and pour.  The kiddo pouring today, she filled the cups up as quickly as I could dig them out of the bin of toys.

Mud Fun - I was wondering how many days it would take the kiddos until they started making mud.  Interestingly - both groups made mud today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment