Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Great Outdoors! - Firefly Jars

This week I thought we'd celebrate the coming of summer.  So we're learning through nature and camping and wildlife, I'm calling it our:  Great Outdoors week.  It should be fun!  Here is the pup tent I had my hubby set up and our tp campfire!


Fireflies in a jar! - I talked with the kiddos about fireflies.  What they look like, how they light up on a hot, humid summer evening, and how we don't have any here in Utah.  (But my family is heading home to Kansas this summer - so we're hoping to see several!)

The kiddos painted dots (fireflies) on the inside of their jars with glow-in-the-dark paint.  Then they drew fireflies on the outside of the jar with sharpies (sorta).

I found the original idea on this blog.

I had the kiddos practice drawing their fireflies on a piece of paper first.  Then they used the leftover paint on them....
 Here is one of my four's jar.  He didn't quite do the dots of paint to create the fireflies, but that's ok.  I think the one he drew is super cute!  Once the kiddos had their jars complete, they took them into the closet to see them glow.  They were super excited that they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment