Thursday, November 7, 2013

Some apple projects.

We squished fall leaves and apples into the same week this year.  Here is what we were up to for our apples days!  We talked about how apples grow (on trees) and what colors they can be (red, yellow, green) .  We talked about the parts of an apple (stem, peel, core, seeds, seed casings).

Apple Investigation - We used our magnifying glasses to look really closely at apple seeds and at apples!  We of course had to discover the star inside of the apple.  The star helped us see the seed casings better.  We also made predictions for sink or float.

Apple Tasting - The kiddos got to taste 8 different kinds of apples and give each apple a smiley face or a frowny face.

Apple Printing - I love doing this activity.  I had the kiddos make apple prints all over brown shipping paper (from the dollar store).  Once they dried I cut them all out and the kiddos created wreaths (glued them on the outside ring of paper plates).

Chunky Applesauce - Always a yummy treat.  I love it when the kiddos can make their own snack.  I pulled out my 'apple-peeler-corer-slicer' from Pampered Chef and put the kiddos to work.
If the kiddos were not running the 'apple-peeler...' they were cutting up the apple slices into bits.  Once the kiddos had finished, I sprinkled the apples with some sugar and cinnamon.  Then I put it on the stove to simmer for a bit.  Once the apples were soft, we ate them with our snack.  Yummers!

Learning Station - Worm Counting - I made this center last year.  The kiddos simply need to count out the correct number of worms for each apple.

Wreath Turkeys - My new favorite turkey craft.  Hmm ... perhaps we should add legs to him next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment