Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Week on Frogs

I guess I was feeling springy this week, so we're learning about frogs!

Circle Frogs - The kiddos glued together these frogs, made all out of circles (accept their tongues of course).  They had fun rolling the tongues up and gluing on a fly (pom pom).  Here are the youngsters (3 year olds) frogs...
 

Here are the preschooler's frogs...


A Frog's Life Cycle - I showed the kiddos a couple of clips on youtube showing the life cycle of a frog.  (Egg, tadpole, froglet then frog!)  Then we created our own life cycles.
eggs - googly eyes
tadpoles & froglets - black beans - the kiddos were to draw the tails and legs and arms

Frog Pond - The kiddos enjoyed splashing in the pond and trying to balance the frogs on the lily pads.
I just cut lily pads from craft foam.  The frogs floated nicely on them, I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Frog Faces -  Time to have a bit of fun with a snappy frog tongue.  I found red party blowers that I thought would be perfect for a frog tongue.  The kiddos drew their frog face on a piece of craft foam, then we slipped the blower in and tada!  Instant frogs!
 

Sidewalk Chalk - We're getting some warm-ish days so the kiddos and I are loving chalk time.  Here is a shark eating my foot.  It is a funny time of year where you're pulling out the bubbles and chalk, but the snow shovels are also still out.  Ha!

Frog Long Jump - I ran a long piece of tape across the classroom and marked off each foot.  Then I encouraged the kiddos to do a standing long jump and I marked each of their jumps.  It was really fun to see the kiddos try again and again to beat their mark.  The kiddos got between 3'6" and 4'4".  Impressive for short legs!

Frog Hop Game - I found this little game at the dollar store.  It had a bunch of those hopper frogs and a small pool for the kiddos to try and hop them into.  It was a bit tricky and there were frogs going everywhere, but we got some in the pond!

Bean Bin Fun - Two kiddos went to town in the bean bin today.  They created a chocolate store and had more beans outside of the bin than in!  Ha!  It took them a while to clean it all up, but they had lots of fun in the making of it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment