Monday, March 4, 2013

Space - Moon Phases with Oreos!

This week we are studying space.  I saw this great idea on pinterest to talk about the phases of the moon using Oreos.  Unfortunately I didn't pin it at the time, so I have no link to give credit to.  Sorry about that.  Such a yummy learning activity!

Here is the set up (below)During the tailend of snack, I talked with my fours about the moon.  I showed them the pictures in this book and asked what they had observed about the moon.  As we talked I opened a few Oreos and showed them how they could created a moon phase in their Oreo by scraping off part of the filling.
Here is one of my fours hard at work.  The kiddos really did a great job at creating recognizable moon phases, better than I thought they would.

 Once they had created a moon phase, they had to show me their creation and tell me which phase it was - and then they could gobble it up.

Left:  This four is showing the half moon she created.

Below:  The four phases of the moon that we talked about.


No comments:

Post a Comment